We value our employees above all others, as they are the most important part of any company’s success. To this end, we endeavor to:
- Recruit and retain talented people;
- Provide training and development to help employees grow in professional stature and develop their own career paths
- Engage with our employees and listen to what they have to say
- Make the most of the contribution, skills, talent and experience of our employees
We believe that there is more to a job than just work and pay. We encourage employees to strike a work-life balance and therefore stay happy, healthy and committed to long-term careers with David Phillips.
We encourage employees to reach their full potential and, to this end, favour internal promotion over recruiting from outside the business.
We aim to nurture a culture that values diversity – not just within the Company, but also among customers, suppliers and all those who we engage with. Our approach is founded on some core beliefs:
- Employees are treated as individuals and with respect, honesty and fairness
- We are an equal opportunities employer, providing opportunities for all regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, social background, religion, disability or sexuality
We encourage our suppliers to be the same, and assessing their approach to diversity comprises part of the methodology we use when evaluating suppliers.
Health & Safety
We are committed to ensuring that we provide and maintain a safe and healthy place for our employees, customers and visitors to work in. We use recognised systems and procedures to assess, identify and manage risk in all of our locations and when working offsite on the road or in all of our customers’ properties.
With responsibility for health and safety delegated by our CEO to the Group’s COO, he is responsible for interpreting health and safety legislation and advising and guiding managers in managing safely in all of our locations and offsite in others’. He is responsible for assisting in the development of safety management systems and monitoring safety performance. He is also responsible for advising on safety control standards and for leading investigations into significant incidents.
Our procedures are designed so that managers at all levels can focus on the most significant risks first. This ensures that resources are focused in the right place at the right time.
While we are primarily focused on prevention, it is inevitable that incidents will occur. No company can run a zero-risk operation, so we take care to record our efforts to manage risks to socially acceptable levels.
We investigate all significant incidents regardless of actual outcome to identify why things went wrong and how we can avoid it happening again – putting in place remedial and preventative measures as necessary.
Key features of our approach are:
- A risk assessment based approach to our operating environments and processes
- Appropriate safety and occupational health measures are developed and implemented for each location
- Appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE) is provided to all employees who require it
- Employees required to drive a company vehicle or operate manchinery are appropriately trained and, where relevant, receive approved training to operate at the standard required
- Our vehicle fleet is modern and correctly maintained
- Employees receive appropriate Health & Safety training
- Matters relating to Health & Safety are reported and discussed at Board level as part of the standing agenda